Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Set To Return To UK With Children After Six Years In US
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to UK with their two children for an extended stay, marking a major change in the Sussexes family life since they stepped back from royal duties and relocated to the United States in 2020.
According to reports, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to establish a private base in the United Kingdom this month, with Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, due to begin school in Britain in September.
The reported move would give Harry and Meghan their first British home base since they lost their lease on Frogmore Cottage in 2023. The Windsor property had been their UK residence before King Charles asked them to leave following the publication of Harry’s memoir, Spare.
Despite establishing a new life in Britain, the couple are reportedly planning to retain their home in Montecito, California, as well as their vacation property in Portugal. The location of their new British residence and the children’s school is being kept private for security and family reasons.
King Charles was reportedly informed about the Sussexes’ plans on Sunday, August 16, and is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more private time with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
However, the relocation would not mean Harry and Meghan are returning as working members of the Royal Family. Those close to the situation reportedly emphasized that the couple will remain private, non-working royals, consistent with the arrangements made when they stepped back from royal duties.
The move comes only weeks after the Sussexes brought Archie and Lilibet to Britain during a summer visit that included a significant family reunion. The children reportedly spent time with their grandfather at Highgrove, marking their first meeting with Charles in more than four years.
Sources close to the couple have described the new arrangement as a version of the “half in, half out” model that Harry originally proposed during discussions with the Royal Family in 2019.
A permanent British base would allow Harry to spend more time supporting organizations close to his heart, including Scotty’s Little Soldiers, WellChild and the Invictus community. Meghan, meanwhile, is expected to continue developing her lifestyle brand, As Ever, while pursuing other projects.
The couple are also reportedly determined to remain financially independent. Allies have emphasized that their British life will not involve taxpayer funding, maintaining the private status they have held since stepping away from royal duties.
Security remains one of the most complicated issues surrounding Harry’s return to Britain. The Duke lost taxpayer-funded police protection after stepping down from royal duties and has since pursued a lengthy legal battle over his security arrangements.
Harry has continued to argue that the security situation requires a fresh government risk assessment, claiming that such an assessment has not been carried out for more than six years. A spokesperson for the Sussexes has reportedly declined to comment specifically on whether security arrangements influenced the family’s decision.
Harry is already expected to return to Britain in September for engagements connected to WellChild, a charity he has supported for more than two decades. He is also expected to attend events associated with the Invictus Games, including the inaugural Invictus Spirit Awards and gala, although it has not been confirmed whether Meghan will attend that particular event.
Those close to Harry reportedly believe his latest British visit strengthened his confidence about spending more time in the country. The Duke was said to have been encouraged by the public interest surrounding Meghan during his recent charity engagements in Birmingham.
The Sussexes would also have a support network in Britain, including Harry’s longtime friends, Meghan’s college friend Lindsay Jill Roth, and his cousin Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank, who divide their time between Britain and Portugal.
For now, the reported relocation represents one of the biggest changes in the Sussexes’ lives since leaving the Royal Family. If the plans go ahead, Harry and Meghan could soon have a renewed presence in Britain while maintaining their homes and professional interests overseas, potentially opening a new chapter in their complicated relationship with the Royal Family.




