Prince Harry Faces Fresh Legal Blow As Judge Orders Major Payment
Prince Harry has suffered a fresh legal setback just days after his reported UK return plans emerged, with a High Court judge ordering the Duke of Sussex and other claimants to pay a share of an initial £9.5 million legal bill to Associated Newspapers Limited within seven days.
The ruling follows Harry’s legal defeat against the publisher of the Daily Mail over allegations involving unlawful information gathering and phone hacking.
The 41-year-old Duke was among a group of high-profile claimants who brought the privacy case against ANL. The group includes Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, David Furnish, Sadie Frost and Sir Simon Hughes.
Harry and the other claimants lost their case against the publisher in July, during a period when the Duke was in Britain. The latest ruling now adds another financial consequence to the lengthy legal battle.
Justice Nicklin ordered the claimants to make an initial payment towards ANL’s legal costs, with £9,544,355 due by August 28. The judge said the claimants and their legal advisers had already been aware that the payment would be required following the earlier hearing.
Justice Nicklin also ruled that indemnity costs should be awarded in favour of Associated Newspapers. Such an order can provide the successful party with a greater level of costs recovery than the standard basis.
The decision represents another difficult moment for Harry, who has repeatedly pursued legal action over his treatment by the British media and the security arrangements available to him when visiting the UK.
The court has not yet determined exactly how much of ANL’s overall legal costs Harry and the other claimants will ultimately have to pay. Further hearings are expected to establish the final amount.
Associated Newspapers had previously said that its costs in defending the proceedings had reached approximately £34.5 million. The court described that figure as “exceptionally high” but ultimately declined to impose a cap on the amount the publisher could recover.
The latest decision therefore does not necessarily represent the final financial bill facing Harry and the other claimants. The eventual amount will depend on further decisions by the court regarding the costs of the proceedings.
The timing of the ruling is particularly notable because Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to spend an extended period in Britain with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
The Sussexes are expected to establish a private, non-royal base in the UK while retaining their existing property in California. Their children are reportedly expected to begin school in Britain in September.
Harry has previously expressed strong concerns about security arrangements for himself and his family when in Britain. His legal battle over taxpayer-funded protection remains separate from the latest dispute involving Associated Newspapers.
The new court order could therefore add another complication as Harry prepares for a greater presence in the country. While his reported UK return may bring him closer to his family and charitable commitments, it will also place renewed attention on his ongoing legal battles.
For now, Harry and the other claimants must comply with the judge’s order for the initial payment, while the wider costs dispute continues. The latest ruling serves as a reminder that the Duke’s legal battles with British media organizations remain far from over, even as he prepares for a new chapter in the UK.




